Sunday, June 2, 2013

Are You in Your Happy Place?

2 cups of coffee
Yesterday after a month's hiatus from watching my favorite British TV series, Downton Abbey, I went back to Season 2, of course starting it from Episode 1. To say that I've watched this series at least a hundred times, is an understatement (ask hubby and my kids). I love everything about it. The whole production is excellent. The cast of characters, the costume, the acting, Highclere Castle -- as I said, everything.  
At any rate, as I was watching that scene where Matthew met Mary for the first time, since she rejected his marriage proposal (conclusion of Season 1), is really for the books. This is one love story that has more than its share of ups and downs in Seasons 1 and 2 and a bit more in the first episode in Season 3.  And since Season 3 has also ended, it's safe to say that they finally got married and then without any warning, Matthew met his untimely death in a freak road accident. ... So I am digressing... I usually do when I talk about Downton Abbey. Anyway, back to Season 2 Episode 1, that dinner table scene where the un-couple talked about them "being happy" or "about to be happy" kinda struck me differently.
The past two months have gone pretty fast for me.  
Having gotten myself a new job means encountering so many new things for me. New people, new place and a slightly new job description. 
Figures were mostly what I dealt with in my previous job, with my new one, it's words. Previously it was mostly MS Excel, now it's MS Word and MS Publisher.  I sure am doing a lot of re-wiring.
And I'm not complaining at all. What I'm just saying is that I did a whole lot of adjusting. 
And I'm also euphoric this weekend as I have accomplished a major task just as the month of May came to an end. So please allow me to have this moment...
I was made to understand that I was hired because I can write.  
I was like, "who me? write?" 
About a year ago, with so many things that was going on, I felt that I needed to give myself a break. That was when I started this blog.
How was I to know that my blog was going to be instrumental in my hiring process? Trust the Lord's sovereign ways. 
So when I came across that dinner conversation about the un-couple talking about them being "happy," it got me into some introspection.
Am I in my "happy place"? Yes, I am!
I'm having, my share of life's twists and turns and ups and downs, but in the end, I'd still say, I'm in my happy place.
Simple guiding principles like "choosing my battle" and "looking at the big picture" are helping me much in terms of keeping myself focused.
Having a family is also a boost. 
For the most part of 2012, I wasn't always in my happy place. But that's all in the past now and I've told myself that it's no use looking back.  
I know that I've been given a chance to move forward. And that is exactly what I'm doing! Yes, moving forward. 
So bring it on! 
Sadly I know of some people who are seemingly in their happy place. Yet when you dig a bit, you'd find out that they are only pretending that they are; or worst, they think they are.  
Sad, really sad.  
So just one last word on this... make sure that you're in your happy place. You've only got one life to live, too precious to be wasting it. 
You must be wondering about the photo above? My daughter and I had a cup each after lunch today -- just one of life's simple pleasure -- spending time with my family on a lazy  Sunday early afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment