Saturday, March 2, 2013

"Don't Leave Home Without Them"

Title are in quotation marks as I "borrowed" it from that very successful 1975 ad campaign done by David Ogilvy for Ogilvy & Mather for American Express Traveler's Cheques. Remember Karl Malden (yes, same guy in that 70's police drama TV series, The Streets of San Francisco, with a very young and handsome, Michael Douglas, as his partner), was in their TVC? In case you haven't seen or can't recall it exactly, here's the link
At any rate,  I have my own version of "don't leave home without them." 
I am referring to 
my watch, my rings, a pair of earrings and a handkerchief.
Not sure exactly when this habit started. But am thinking it didn't happen overnight, might have been an evolution of some sort.
Watch
Dunno about you, but to me, wearing a watch's been always a big deal. More than a necessity, today's watch has evolved into more of an accessory, you might have one for sports, one for everyday wear, another one for dressier events. No,  I  don't have one for every occasion. But I must admit that I own about 6 of them and they're all gifts, save for one, which I bought almost 19 years ago (yes, they can last that long). :) 
Rings
I have several rings in my small jewelry box, those 3 pictured above are my wedding ring, and my Mom's two rings-her engagement ring and a puzzle ring my Dad gave her during the 80's.  When my Mom was diagnosed with the dreaded C, one of the things that she did as soon as my sister came home (she lives abroad), was  to divide her jewelries between her two daughters.  
Earrings.
According to my sister, a pair of earrings will always complement a woman's beautiful face. 'nuff said.
Handkerchief.
Self-explanatory when you make your abode and livelihood here in  Metro Manila. 

What about you? What made it to your "don't leave home without them" list? 
Let me make guess... wallet and cellular phone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment